Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Why the iPad is a #FAIL

The launch of the Apple tablet was possibly the biggest marketing hype I have seen in a long time. However, when I saw Steve Jobs holding the “iPad” for the first time, I could immediately sense that something has gone horribly wrong. Here are my top 8 reasons why I reckon the iPad will be a failiure:
1. As someone who owns both an iPhone and a Macbook, I wonder why I would want to carry a third “something in between” device with me.
2. The only possible reason i may want to use the iPad is to play App Store games on a larger screen. But why did this need arise in the first place? Because those games aren’t available on a Mac! Seriously people, if Apple really cared, they wouldn’t make you buy new hardware to play the same old games.
3. I’ve never used a Kindle and still don’t get the point of lugging around a dedicated e-book reader. There is a practical limit to the number of devices I can carry with me when I am travelling – and an iPhone + laptop should suffice most of the time. Hence, the iPad being projected as a “Kindle killer” may not be such a big deal afterall.
4. If the iPad screen is similar to a Macbook, why not read your e-books on your laptop instead? The iPad screen, no matter how good still cannot beat Amazon’s e-ink technology.
5. The iPad seems too big (and possibly fragile) to carry around all the time. Does the package include a casing?
6. A full fledged browsing device and no Flash? What were you thinking Apple?
7. Still no support of running multiple apps simultaneously. No way I’m going to close my browser each time I want to copy some text into my text editor.
8. (BONUS) The iPad is a silly name – Sounds like a feminine hygiene product to me!

No comments: